Kim in Stockholm

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Local wildlife

Earlier this week, it was really swampy out - super humid, raining on and off and cool enough that the humidity made it chilly. Monday morning as I was leaving my apartment, there was a loud crunch under my foot. I looked down and there were a bunch of little snails (or pieces of little snails). Watching where I was stepping more closely, as I cut through a park to get to the trolley, I saw a really big snail with a beautiful shell. I didn't have my camera with me then. But, this is the one I saw outside of my apartment when I got home.

Then, on Wednesday, when I was coming home from work, I saw a deer in my neighbor's front yard. Now, keep in mind, I don't live in back woods Sweden, I live in the Stockholm suburbs. It would be like seeing a wild deer in any place I've lived before this (in the suburbs of NY, Boston, or Atlanta) but the houses here are on smaller plots of land and so they are closer together. There are no wooded areas around where I live so I have no idea where this deer came from. It was one of those cartoon moments where I walked right past it (it was no further than 10 feet away from me) and I had to take a few steps backwards after it registered, to see if I did see what I think I saw.

1 Comments:

  • Dude, I was so expecting to see a picture of the snails you'd stepped on :P

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home